Data Entry Guidelines
What follows is a list of guidelines users should follow
when contributing to the UPC Database -- this includes additions
and corrections. Use of these guidelines will help ensure
the data is kept
accurate and consistent.
This list can't possibly be exhaustive. If you think I'm missing
something, please email suggestions. I'll keep adding to this...
- Above all, please make sure that the information you are submitting
- Don't unnecessarily capitalize or abbreviate words.
- Feel free to include model numbers, part numbers, and/or catalog numbers
in the item description, but not without first putting a meaningful, English
description of the item.
- The Size/Weight field should indicate how many or how much of the item
in question is included. Don't put part numbers, catalog numbers, model
numbers, shape, color, price, or anything else in the Size/Weight field.
Exceptions are noted below.
- Size/Weight should be used in a few cases to indicate the type of
packaging or media. VHS, DVD, CD, and CDROM are all acceptable, and
quantities may be included as well ("2 DVD").
- Use standard ISO unit abbreviations on units in the Size/Weight field.
If you don't know what this means, use the abbreviations you see on the
- Note the difference between ounces of weight (oz) and fluid ounces
- If specifying a Size/Weight in multiple units, specify English units
first, then Metric in parentheses. Example: 5oz (141.7g)
- Do NOT include URLs, addresses, or phone numbers in item descriptions.
- Do NOT include special characters for trademark, copyright, etc,
whether HTML-escaped or not.
- Do NOT request deletion of an entry just because an item has been
recalled or discontinued. Plenty of people are interested in information
about items no longer manufactured.